Re: Confused by non-numeric version in release guideline

Patrice Dumas schrieb:
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 07:07:15PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

Urgh, ... insane overengineering, IMNSHO.

All you are doing is adding confusion on user-expections on versions strings and avoidable hassle to package maintainers.

It really depends on the case at hand. All of those alternatives have issues (epoch versus not following upstream).
Not quite - All "upstream version" -> "rpm EVR" schemes have issues somewhere, no matter which scheme is favored.

Chosing the right one would mean knowing the future,
There is no "everlasting right one", there only are "temporary right ones"

since this is not really easy, letting the maintainer chose one of the possibilities, but in an informed way is, in my opinion, the best.
My view is different: A package's maintainer has to find a reasonable compromise between upstream, user-expectation, ease of maintenance and technical possibilities - Choose bizarre version tags is not helpful to anybody.

Or differently: If upstream chooses alpha-numeric versions, it would be silly to use "integer versions" in Fedora.

Ralf