Re: file-not-utf8 complaints

Patrice Dumas wrote:
On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 01:18:02PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

I could go either way on this but lean towards this should be utf-8. ShiftJS, Big5, etc have benefits over UTF-8 and the people who use those are the consumers of this file. OTOH, for Fedora to truly support the UTF-8 locale out of the box, these kinds of files (which don't specify an encoding and aren't used by the program) have to be UTF-8. How can we ship with a UTF-8 locale by default knowing that the README.cn isn't readable by people who stick with our default?

Once again I think that it really depends on the package user community.
I don't know anything about asian encodings, but if the packager thinks
that users anticipate a file encoded in Big5 he could leave it in the
original encoding.

I think you're wrong on this. We ship with a default locale choice that has utf-8 as the encoding. If the user is changing the default, they can't expect things to work. More importantly, if the user is leaving the defaults alone, they should be able to expect things to work. The choice of UTF-8 encoding for a locale is something we do at the distribution level. Everything we ship in the distribution should work with that choice.

For files that do not specify this encoding, there's no way to satisfy that requirement except to ship them as UTF-8.

-Toshio