Re: UTF-8 package names

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 06:52:24PM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Package names should follow upstream since attempting to transliterate or
> translate upstream names can't be done sanely on our side.  For things that
> map easily into the ASCii set (diacritic/accented characters, for instance,
> as found in latin-1) a transliterated Provides can be added to make
> installation easier for ASCii-conditioned users but carrying this on to
> other scripts is a losing proposition.

We violate this rule with capitalization,
python/perl/php/.... packages and what not and we'll stick with an
upstream's name that seems to want to ship its project only is certain
locales?

I would instead propose a rule that says "if the transliteration to
ASCII can't be done by the packager, he should contact upstream to
provide one and use that".
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net