Re: Packaging guidelines for Emacsen add-on packages

On Wednesday 30 May 2007, Rex Dieter wrote:

> One concrete example: chroot'd buildroots (like mock).
> The rpm version used to create the buildroot (oftentimes) != rpm version
> used inside the root for the query, leads to wierd behavior, failures.

If I understand correctly, this is an orthogonal issue which isn't limited to
querying rpm.  For example, different *emacs versions inside and outside the
buildroot is just as likely as different rpm versions.  What makes querying
them for versions instead of rpm safer, more predictable, and more
reproducible?