Re: Is this license okay for a fedora package?

Simo Sorce wrote:
On Sun, 2007-04-01 at 02:28 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
Steven Pritchard wrote:
On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 03:45:01PM -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
I'd like to package up Maia Mailguard, and the license appears to be
original BSD (advertising clause included) with a branding extension
added. Thoughts?

http://www.maiamailguard.org/license.php
Isn't Maia a fork of amavisd-new?
Pretty much, yeah.

If so, how can its license be anything other than than GPL?

I don't think amavisd-new had any web interface.
That part of the license may apply only to the web interface.

That is indeed the case.

Good question... I'll raise that with the authors.

Yes, and it would be nice if the author would release it under pure GPL,
or maybe the Affero GPL ?

That would be a "not likely". :)

http://www.renaissoft.com/pipermail/maia-users/2007-January/008699.html

Seems this won't fly as an official Fedora package. No biggie, the Maia folks have offered to host it or link to it or whatever, wherever it winds up.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson@xxxxxxxxxx