Re: [Fedora-packaging] disttag

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 15:26 +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:

I don't see why we should add cruft to our release tags to help people
shoot their own feet either. I'm not going to start flamewar over this -
there are worse things in life that RPMforge disttags :) but I simply
don't see no value added whatsoever by trying to create an upgrade path
for *extras* when one doesn't exist for the actual products.

Here's the point: Its not mandatory. If you're not trying to work the "single spec/multiple Fedoras" case, then don't use it.

The standard will make that very clear.

In case I wasn't clear: I'm not complaining about disttags at all, they're useful in many cases. What I'm complaining about is the IMHO silly extra stuff in the release tag for providing an upgrade path between products which aren't upgradable in reality. Plain fc3, fc4, el4 etc as disttags are perfectly fine by me.

	- Panu -