Re: Need soundcard advice

I also suggest getting a USB audio interface to ensure you will be able
to use your device with any computer you might get in the future. Plenty
of laptops do not have any spare PCIe slots, but they have USB ports. If
your wife ever want to use the interface for a live performance, I doubt
she'll want to lug around a desktop PC for a PCIe card.

By "Midi feature of that card [Audigy 2]", are you only referring to
SoundFont support or are you also talking about MIDI I/O with a breakout
box? Is SoundFont support by the hardware critical? Can Fluidsynth
substitute for that?

I have been doing a lot of digging over the last few days to figure out
what USB audio interface to get for my own use (just DJing for now). It
seems to me that the Focusrite Scarlett series is the way to go. The
hardware is good and Focusrite is cooperative with Linux driver
developers
(https://focusritedevelopmentteam.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/linux-and-focusrite-novation-products/
). Every review I have read says they have great sound quality. There
are a handful of devices in this series with different numbers of ins
and outs, so buy whichever one best suits your needs and budget. Beware
that some people run into issues using an electric guitar without a DI
box, so if recording guitar is important, investigate if this is an
issue with the particular unit you're considering. All of them except
the 2i2 have MIDI I/O. The 2i2 and 2i4 are powered by USB, and the rest
need their own power supply. They all are capable of operating with 24
bit samples at 96 kHz, have at least 2 mic preamps, and have balanced
outputs. It seems that playback and recording have been supported by
Linux for a while. Full control over the devices' mixers will be
included in Linux 3.19 (the next release--note that it will be a little
bit before this is packaged by Fedora; 3.18 is still in rawhide).