Re: Fedora 21 and beyond

Most of the other audio distros use a 'lighter' desktop than either
GNOME or KDE - I think XFCE is in most of them, but there may be one
with LXDE. IIRC F21 will have the merged LXDE / Razor-Qt desktop as an
option, and that's the way I'd go.

IMHO the 'desktop' is irrelevant - even OpenBox + FBPanel will start
applications, and the browser is the desktop for many people these
days. It only takes me a week or so to customize any Linux desktop to
my workflow, so we might as well pick something that looks good and
doesn't use much RAM. KDE and GNOME are fine for a 'Windows/Mac'
replacement, as are Cinnamon, MATE and Unity. But for audio, I'd go
with something less RAM-grabbing.

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Brian Monroe <briancmonroe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Why would I use Fedora Jam? I don't even like KDE.
>>
>> The good thing is that, from the moment people started to think about a
>> special Musicians Spin several interesting packages, requested by members of
>> this mailinglist, have been added to the official Fedora repositories
>

> I do think that's a valid point. The state of Gnome has greatly improved
> over the last two years. I was a KDE user back then, and have since moved
> back to Gnome after it became more usable/stable.  Should we take a new
> "vote" on switching the desktop?

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism on a Stick
http://j.mp/CompJournoStickOverview

My poltergeist can beat up your zeitgeist.