Re: Fedora Jam tracking well

On 12 July 2013 15:12, Brendan Jones <brendan.jones.it@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07/12/2013 04:04 PM, Ian Malone wrote:

>> Toying about trying to find a way to use a gamepad as a midi
>> controller for Hydrogen. May need to either write something myself or
>> give up and just get a midi controller. But mainly using the computer
>> as a guitar amp interface, very handy to be able to change effects
>> settings directly (Plug) and also to have everything going through
>> Jack when I need to use headphones.
>>
> Wow, I've never tried, but a bunch of ppl I work with are used to sniffing a
> serial connection. The hardest part is the port? Let me know how you go. We
> usually get an electrical engineer in to send us the bits off of a machine,
> so we can assimilate the printout for example.

I was never really planning on doing it at the driver/hardware hacking
level[1]. I'd thought it might be necessary to write an app for it to
talk to HID and generate MIDI signals, but it turned out to be
possible to use Pure Data installed from Planet CCRMA:
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/pure-drumming.html

[1] In the distant past I did build a multi-channel power monitor that
used the parallel port, that ran with some version of RedHat desktop,
but I've never felt very inclined to mess with USB drivers.
--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk