Fwd: [Fedora-spins] Proposal: Spins process amendment for Fedora 20 cycle

On Jul 5, 2013 10:03 AM, "Kevin Fenzi" <kevin@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:kevin@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

 > Greetings.
 >
 > I'd like to propose some changes to the spins process for F20.
 > I'm sending this just to the spins and test lists first, to try and hash
 > out things, then we can move on to running it the devel list once we
 > have more concrete plans.
 >
 > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/20/Spins shall be the cannonical
 > list of approved spins by the sig.
 >
 > A Milestone is one of Alpha, Beta, Final.
 >
 > A basic spin test will be created (Or perhaps we can re-use the Basic
 > desktop test, or whatever QA folks would prefer). This basic spin test
 > will test:
 >
 > At Alpha:
 >
 > * The image composes.
 > * The image boots with any method
 > * The liveuser user can login
 > * The user can apply updates
 >
 > At Beta:
 >
 > * All Alpha tests, and
 > * The image meets it's size goal
 > * The image boots with all supported live media boot methods.
 >
 > At Final:
 >
 > * All Beta test and
 > * No selinux denials on boot/login
 >
 > At the Alpha milestone, all approved spins will be created by rel-eng.
 >
 > Each approved spin MUST have at least 2 people fill in the Basic spin
 > test matrix for at least 1 TC or RC. If the image fails, maintainers
 > can try again at the next milestone, but the image is NOT shipped for
 > that milestone. if an image doesn't get 2 people filling in Basic spin
 > tests, the image is dropped for that cycle and IS NOT SHIPPED FOR THAT
 > RELEASE! Such images can be reapproved by the spins sig for the next
 > cycle.
 >
 > At the Beta milestone, only those images that got testing in the Alpha
 > milestone will be produced.
 >
 > At the Final milestone, only those images that were tested at the Beta
 > release will be produced.
 >
 > The http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/20/Spins page will be
 > enhanced with a 'Alpha/Beta/Final' field, where we can note what spins
 > are in what state.
 >
 > Questions/Feedback needed on:
 >
 > - Is 2 people too many? Should it just be 1? or More?
 >
 > - Are there other Basic tests we should require?
 >
 > - Is there a better way to track things than that wiki page?
 >
 > - Is there a good way to make sure all spins maintainers are aware of
 >   these changes and are not surprised by them?
 >
 > Anything else?
 >
 > kevin
Apologies in advance for cross-posting. I think Kevin's proposal is reasonable, I'm pretty sure we can manage 2 people to test the Jam ISOs at Alpha/Beta and Final. If you have any feedback I'd recommend replying on the spins list rather than here, so the other Spins SIGs can hear your thoughts.

Brendan