Re: Spin Approval

Some thoughts in case they're useful:

On 4 December 2012 07:29, Brendan Jones <brendan.jones.it@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/02/2012 10:11 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:

>> Am Samstag, den 01.12.2012, 20:04 +0100 schrieb Brendan Jones:
>>
>>>    - we have added a kernel boot parameter 'threadirqs' - prerequisite of
>>> the rtirq package to prioritize software IRQs (very useful for dealing
>>> with latency of audio devices)
>>

>> This is controversial, but I see nothing wrong with it. As long as there
>> is no guideline that explicitly forbids it, I am willing to allow it.
>>
>>>    - we have packaged out own background and our own KDE theme. The
>>> background is simply the Spherical Cow them with a wave form
>>> superimposed (fedora-jam-backgrounds).
>>>    - we have packaged our own KDE theme - this has spherical cow as a
>>> direct dependency and is only required so we can use the background
>>> image by default (for the desktop and splash) The package is
>>> fedora-jam-kde-theme
>>

>> As long as everything is packaged, I see nothing wrong with it. This
>> being said I would rather like to have the files you add
>> to /etc/skel/.kde/ in %post as part of a package. I am not a KDE user,
>> so I don't know if it is possible or would it collide with other
>> packages.
>

> I cannot see any other package owning these files, so I can add them to
> fedora-jam-kde-theme.

I think that might be a solution, alternatively a sub-package
(...-theme-default) could deliver them, the theme package is
single-use enough that it probably doesn't matter either way. But I
wonder:

>>>    - you can see the hack where we've made the logged in user a member of
>>> the audio group by default. This is required by
>>> jack-audio-connection-kit - it prioritizes processes running under this
>>> group. Again very improtant for latency issues.
>>

>> I see your point, but the modifications
>> to /usr/share/firstboot/modules/create_user.py are a no-go. You need to
>> move the sed commands to the livesys init script, so the changes will
>> only be applied to the live system but not to the installed packages.
>> Even this is controversial (think of translations), but again as long as
>> it not explicitly forbidden, I'll turn a blind eye to it.
>>

> Is there a right way to do this? I tried to find one but I couldn't see an
> option in kickstart to make this happen. I could probably provide a patch to
> firstboot (I think this would be really useful) but obviously it will be too
> late for this release. Or is this something which should go into pam or
> somewhere else?
>
> Alternatively we could add this to %post in jack-audio-connection-kit but
> I'm not sure if this is considered safe in a critical-path package

Again maybe a sub-package to jack could do this, so it's not on
critical path but could be added to the .ks? There are actually two
changes, one is in /etc/rc.d/init.d/livesys which is already done and
makes the change for the live system, it sounds like that's okay. The
other is the install one, I'm not sure I understand the exact
implications of Christoph's request: is it the case that we will get
away with doing those sed against create_user.py on the live system
and does create_user get run from the live system during install or
from the installed system?

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk