Re: 32 or 64 bits

>From Planet CCRMA:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installplanetsixteen.html

"Your first choice is to whether install the 32 bit (i386) or 64 bit
(x86_64) version of the base operating system. Up to Fedora 16 I
recommend 32 bits if you want to use experimental music environments
that are still not available for 64 bit versions of linux (that
includes, as of this writing [2-12.05.30], ChuCK - all others, Pd,
SuperCollider and the CM/CLM/CMN Lisp world should run fine on 64 bits
OSs).

"In Fedora 17 you can run a 32 bit binary of ChucK under a 64 bit
install as Jack is now compiled with the proper compatibility flag, so
in Fedora 17 and later it is better to go with a 64 bit install."

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Brian Monroe <briancmonroe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've only ever used 64 bit versions and have yet to encounter bugs related
> to the 64 bit builds.
>
> On Nov 11, 2012 10:19 AM, "Elliott Chapin" <echapin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/11/2012 12:10 PM, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Very soon I will need to replace my old laptop.
>> > On my new laptop I will again install a Fedora based system.
>> > It will be a general purpose installation, but music/midi/audio will be
>> > an important part of my computer usage.
>> >
>> > In the days when I first installed Fedora on my current laptop 32 and 64
>> > bits distros were already available, but many people advised me to stick
>> > to 32 bits for the time being because:
>> > 1. There was hardly any advantage in real life usage for 64bits vs 32
>> > bits.
>> > 2. There were (at that time) still compatibility issues with a few
>> > important software packages.
>> >

>> > Question:
>> >
>> > What's the current situation, especially for prof. audio/midi software,
>> > on Fedora?
>> > Should I go for 64 bits on a modern system, or is it still safer to
>> > stick to 32 bits ?
>> >

>> I'm doing fine with F17-64, JACK, various softsynths, etc. SC/gedit
>> appears to work, but I haven't actually tried it out. Using a normal
>> kernel rather than a CCRMA rt kernel for the time being. Also
>> iForth/fJack; fJack is an interesting JACK symbiot. vlc fits into this
>> suite nicely.
>>
>> --
>> clients.teksavvy.com/~echapin

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://znmeb.github.com/Computational-Journalism-Publishers-Workbench/

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?