Re: 32 or 64 bits

I've only ever used 64 bit versions and have yet to encounter bugs related to the 64 bit builds.

On Nov 11, 2012 10:19 AM, "Elliott Chapin" <echapin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/11/2012 12:10 PM, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Very soon I will need to replace my old laptop.
> On my new laptop I will again install a Fedora based system.
> It will be a general purpose installation, but music/midi/audio will be
> an important part of my computer usage.
>
> In the days when I first installed Fedora on my current laptop 32 and 64
> bits distros were already available, but many people advised me to stick
> to 32 bits for the time being because:
> 1. There was hardly any advantage in real life usage for 64bits vs 32 bits.
> 2. There were (at that time) still compatibility issues with a few
> important software packages.
>

> Question:
>
> What's the current situation, especially for prof. audio/midi software,
> on Fedora?
> Should I go for 64 bits on a modern system, or is it still safer to
> stick to 32 bits ?

I'm doing fine with F17-64, JACK, various softsynths, etc. SC/gedit
appears to work, but I haven't actually tried it out. Using a normal
kernel rather than a CCRMA rt kernel for the time being. Also
iForth/fJack; fJack is an interesting JACK symbiot. vlc fits into this
suite nicely.

--
clients.teksavvy.com/~echapin