Re: A quick spin vox-pop / Fedora Wiki

On 1 November 2012 05:21, Brendan Jones <brendan.jones.it@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/01/2012 04:30 AM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
>>
>> I don't know what I'm missing, but with my setup all applications that
>> are not native jack clients (e.g. flashplugin etc) connect to jack
>> automatically with the alsa-jack plugin. What feature pulseaudio is
>> supposed to provide here?  It supposed to mix different clients in
>> realtime or something fancy? In that case it does not make sense since
>> it's not aware of the native jack clients.
>>

> Serious audio users are going to configure there system just so in any case.
> We have to be cognizant of the novice user - pulse does provide a very good
> way of hot-plugging sound devices for normal desktop use. The jack-pulse
> bridge simply provides another sink/source.

I think so too, supporting Pulse ON TOP OF JACK means the normal
desktop environment looks the same while what you're really running is
Jack. It also provides a way of insulating your Jack setup from
desktop applications, just disconnect the pulse sources and sinks.

> Instructions on how to setup the alsa-jack bridge is something which would
> be a great addition to the wiki. I have created a starting page for Jack
> here [1]. This has been taken from the Musicians guide[2] and is not meant
> to replace it, but just provide a more organic way of documenting what the
> community knows about setup and configuration.

For what it's worth I'm going to try and track down whatever bug is
crashing Jack in the KDE Live CD install. It's not a Jam-specific
problem and probably not even Pulse related. F18 KDE Phonon actually
tries to integrate quite tightly with pulse too (almost more so than
F16/17 gnome I think).

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk