A quick spin vox-pop

A week or so ago I thought I'd canvas some opinion on what people
might want from the spin. So I asked at the Rob Chapman guitar forums,
Rob is probably best known for gear demos and lessons on youtube, and
for starting a guitar company that makes collaboratively designed
guitars. So these are people who are used to community participation,
but not necessarily free software (though I probably skewed that a bit
by using their geeks forum).

Anyway, discussion seems to have finished, so here's the thread:
http://www.robchapman.tv/forum/threads/fedora-jam-music-creation-collection.22427/
Not a whole lot of new ideas. There are a few people already using
Linux for audio production and they are generally happy with what they
already use, not very surprising as they probably wouldn't be using it
if they weren't. However things that came up:
1. Hardware support. Not much we can do from a spin/music-list point
of view to improve driver support, but worth having advice and links
to the Alsa matrix visible somewhere. There is a lot of supported
gear, but there are people like digitalscream who've got hardware
which is unlikely to work.

2. Integration. Touched on, things need to work without too much
setup. This is even more important since it seems the spin will be the
starting point for people new to linux audio. It's not the primary
goal of the music list effort (that's really the packaging that
Brendan and others are doing), but it does serve as a showcase for
that work.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk