Re: A quick spin vox-pop / Fedora Wiki

On 11/01/2012 04:30 AM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
I don't know what I'm missing, but with my setup all applications that
are not native jack clients (e.g. flashplugin etc) connect to jack
automatically with the alsa-jack plugin. What feature pulseaudio is
supposed to provide here?  It supposed to mix different clients in
realtime or something fancy? In that case it does not make sense since
it's not aware of the native jack clients.

Serious audio users are going to configure there system just so in any case. We have to be cognizant of the novice user - pulse does provide a very good way of hot-plugging sound devices for normal desktop use. The jack-pulse bridge simply provides another sink/source.

Gnome pulls in pulse by default, and some apps will try to connect to pulse if it is installed regardless of whether it is running which is problematic. I don't expect all users of the spin to stick with the default desktop we've chosen, so rather than try and remove pulseaudio from the equation all together we should aim for peaceful coexistent instead.

Instructions on how to setup the alsa-jack bridge is something which would be a great addition to the wiki. I have created a starting page for Jack here [1]. This has been taken from the Musicians guide[2] and is not meant to replace it, but just provide a more organic way of documenting what the community knows about setup and configuration.

Looking for volunteers to add the rest of the configuration side from the guide to the wiki and expand on the already existing pulseaudio troubleshooting pages we have. If you don't have an account, create one and choose to join the music-creation SIG and I'll sponsor you

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JACK_Audio_Connection_Kit
[2] http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Musicians_Guide/sect-Musicians_Guide-Using_JACK.html
[3] https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/user/new