Re: Where is the kickstart file for the audio spin?

On 09/03/2012 08:16 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
On 09/03/2012 08:03 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Brendan Jones
<brendan.jones.it@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/03/2012 07:40 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

I'm building my own audio spin
(https://github.com/znmeb/AlgoCompSynth), but I'd like to start
testing the "official" Fedora version. Is the kickstart file on line
somewhere?

P.S.: I'm having a lot of crashes in the interactions between
Rosegarden, QJackCtl and LASH. Is there something obvious I need to
know about getting this stuff running?

Submit bugs (if you haven't already - if you have link them here) for
the
crashes.

The ABRT isn't working properly - I'll have to submit them manually.

The kickstart can be found in the music creation git repo [1].

I have to ask though, why create a separate audio spin? Perhaps we can
accommodate your requirements and join forces. We need all the help
we can
get.

I started this project before I knew there was an official audio spin.
I volunteered to join the project on the Wiki page. So I'm in. ;-)

 From your bill of materials, all of this is should be available in
Fedora
proper by F18 release (CCRMA's supercollider and puredata are on my
list to
move into Fedora). IF there is anything else you need please add it
to the
wishlist. We also need extra packagers, so if you would like to maintain
some of the stuff that you need which is not in Fedora we'll get you
sponsored as a maintainer ASAP.

Is there a quick start on the packaging guidelines / tool set? I'm
coming from openSUSE where they have this huge automated tool set. The
ones I want packaged most are Impro-Visor and Iannix. sfront is very
low priority; I'm the only one I know that's *ever* used it. Slippery
Chicken looks like an easy fit on top of the Planet CCRMA Lisp tools,
but it's been a couple of years since I did anything with Lisp.

The packaging guidelines are pretty thorough [1]. There's also a packing
mailing list which can field most questions that you may have. We also
have the fedora-review tool which is an invaluable tool in checking that
a package meets the guidelines.

Yeah, lets get them all in. To me, the spin is kind of a means to end.
An audio spin will pull more interest Fedora's way in terms of audio,
and hopefully that will attract users and package maintainers. My end
goal is to have all useful audio packages in Fedora.

Having said that, there's obviously some projects which cannot be
including due to Fedora's licensing restrictions, but that can be
mitigated to a certain extent by promoting the Fedora Musicians guide
which has very clear instructions on how to enable CCRMA and RPMFusion.

The low-latency kernel is another beast - the kernel team currently have
no interest in maintaining an RT patched kernel - they might, if we
could provide them with very clear and concise examples of how the CCRMA
kernel outperforms the stock Fedora one. Without that they will show no
interest. We are also trying to mitigate this as well - the later
kernels have introduced a lot of the RT patches > 2.31 - the audio spin
adds threadirqs to the kernel command line enabling priority setting of
soft IRQs, and we have added CCRMA's rtirq package into Fedora - we are
hoping that this is sufficient for most use cases.

Pick one of the packages that are missing from both CCRMA and Fedora,
check that it has a valid license [2] and follow the steps here to
become a maintainer [3]. Welcome aboard!

[1] fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#Good_Licenses
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers

I would like to also welcome you in to the audio group :) I'm one of the co-maintainers for the audio spin (I worked on it for Google Summer of code).

I looked at Iannix and impro-visor. I didn't undersant much of the Iannix source code, so i wouldn't even know where to start if I was going to package it. I'm willing to package improvisor for Fedora, unless you want to give it a go yourself (In which case, i would be happy to assist you). It looks like an awesome program too, it's something i have wanted to have has a program for several years.

If there are any questions, don't hesitate to any anyone of us :)

--
Jørn Lomax
ex-GSoC student Fedora Audio Spin