Re: Bugs/Changes/Ideas

On Thursday 12 July 2012 14:15:18 Brendan Jones wrote:
> On 07/12/2012 04:40 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> >
> > On 07/11/2012 08:44 PM, Brian Monroe wrote:
> >> I went ahead and installed the test spin and had a few thoughts.
> >> I'm going to start off with stuff that's really more presentation,
> >> but then hopefully move into more important areas (like bugs.) Here
> >> are some of my initial ideas:
> >>

> >> 1. I think it would be neat if we created our own KDE splash
> >> screen. I think it would seperate us from the KDE spin  upon first
> >> boot. I think it's good for users to be able to instantly recognize
> >> that they're booting into Fedora Jam, and not having any chance
> >> that they might be booting into something else. I'm confortable
> >> heading over to the KDE channel and asking for advice on how to do
> >> this to get it rolling.
> >
> > You can also request help from the Fedora Design Team for doing that
> > splash:
> >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/
> >
> > They also may know how to handle the inclusion in to KDE.
>
> Karsten, I'm pleased to say Jorn has already got the design team on board!
>
> Check out the banner here for a taste of things to come:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Spins-banner_jam.png
>
> > +1 to your other fluff, btw. I think it's the sort of "remove the
> > masking tape"[1] that makes users feel more comfortable, especially
> > people who might be new to Linux or Fedora.
>
> Here's where it we could really use some help in the lead up to the
> spin. I'd imagine any theme we come up with will need to be packaged for
> inclusion - perhaps those who know their way around desktop
> customization/themeing could make some suggestions and do some research
> in this area ?
>
> The kxStudio team springs to mind again - its seems like they've headed
> down his path already [1]. There you can find a packaged theme which
> could serve as a template - I'm not suggesting we use it at all.
>
> As for imagery, I'm a fan of sexy gear shots (no trademarks of course).
> Apologize for the grainy/reflective picture, but here's a frame print
> from a local photographer hanging in my office/studio which I'm really
> fond of [2]. Not saying anything here but perhaps the visually creative
> of us here could do something arty with the equipment in their studios
> that the deign team could use.
>

> Brendan
>
> [1] http://kxstudio-team.deviantart.com/
> [2] http://bsjones.fedorapeople.org/IMGP1315.JPG

Speaking of which, here's a link that I posted to IRC during the meeting this
Monday. It's a collection of my photos, copyrighted under CC-BY-SA 3.0 Unported,
that might be useful for the spin. They'll probably be most useful for collages
and cropping and mixing-and-matching and whatever, because (no surprise) none of
them is really suitable for use without modification.

http://crantila.fedorapeople.org/possible%20graphics%20for%20Fedora%20Jam.tar.xz

Christopher.