Re: Bugs/Changes/Ideas

On 07/12/2012 04:40 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

On 07/11/2012 08:44 PM, Brian Monroe wrote:
I went ahead and installed the test spin and had a few thoughts.
I'm going to start off with stuff that's really more presentation,
but then hopefully move into more important areas (like bugs.) Here
are some of my initial ideas:

1. I think it would be neat if we created our own KDE splash
screen. I think it would seperate us from the KDE spin  upon first
boot. I think it's good for users to be able to instantly recognize
that they're booting into Fedora Jam, and not having any chance
that they might be booting into something else. I'm confortable
heading over to the KDE channel and asking for advice on how to do
this to get it rolling.

You can also request help from the Fedora Design Team for doing that
splash:

https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/

They also may know how to handle the inclusion in to KDE.

Karsten, I'm pleased to say Jorn has already got the design team on board!

Check out the banner here for a taste of things to come: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Spins-banner_jam.png

+1 to your other fluff, btw. I think it's the sort of "remove the
masking tape"[1] that makes users feel more comfortable, especially
people who might be new to Linux or Fedora.

Here's where it we could really use some help in the lead up to the spin. I'd imagine any theme we come up with will need to be packaged for inclusion - perhaps those who know their way around desktop customization/themeing could make some suggestions and do some research in this area ?

The kxStudio team springs to mind again - its seems like they've headed down his path already [1]. There you can find a packaged theme which could serve as a template - I'm not suggesting we use it at all.

As for imagery, I'm a fan of sexy gear shots (no trademarks of course). Apologize for the grainy/reflective picture, but here's a frame print from a local photographer hanging in my office/studio which I'm really fond of [2]. Not saying anything here but perhaps the visually creative of us here could do something arty with the equipment in their studios that the deign team could use.

Brendan

[1] http://kxstudio-team.deviantart.com/
[2] http://bsjones.fedorapeople.org/IMGP1315.JPG