Re: Fwd: Bugs/Changes/Ideas

On Thursday 12 July 2012 15:39:35 Brian Monroe wrote:

> +! I agree with all of your points, and I think it's important reflect our
> community with "all that is possible" Not only will it allow us to include
> others, but it will encourage others to branch out into areas they didn't
> expect to be able to use the spin.
>
> > I know there's a general distaste for actually showing people in artwork,
> > but I
> > wonder how far we can push the limit.
>
> I think pictures like this would be fine for places like the musician's
> guide, wiki, website, ect, but I want to push back on using pictures like
> this for things like desktop, and login backgrounds. It's difficult for me
> to imagine users seeing Jessica Wu and wanting to keep that as a
> background, or pick up a spin case with her pic on it... I say that unless
> she's drop-dead-gorgeous, but are we going to sell Fedora with sex? Where
> did this girl come from, and where are we getting these pictures?!?  Sorry,
> I'm getting side tracked, heheheh.
This issue is probably why we've avoided people... to be more specific, I was
imagining photos mostly without faces, and certainly obfuscated in an artistic
way. Now that I think of it, even a pair of hands on a keyboard as a default
wallpaper could be disturbing, but we'll see what we come up with.

> I think musicians are very much artists and we like things to be a little
> less defined, which is why people in the artwork won't be appealing for
> most people. However, Sexy photos of gear (Thank you Brandon Jones for
> putting it so eloquently) typically is at least appealing to most. We'll
> never be able to accommodate every one, which is fine, but maybe instead of
> thinking of what we're doing as endorsement, we should rather think of it
> as celebratory.
Okay, but let's not call it "sexy," because that's a potentially dangerous word.

> You'll have to forgive the postmodern in me for wanting a both/and
> solution.
Then forgive the post-post-modern in me for thinking those are impossible!

> What if we did our first theme as something along the lines of
> Celebration in collaboration and performance. Like doing collages of a wide
> range of gear, with classical instruments, compressors, turntables, sheet
> music, and guitars. There would be a lot going on, and some of it may not
> always be clear or defined, but that's what happens when you just grab a
> bunch of people and tell them to Jam on something. Kinda like there is so
> much stuff, it's hard to define what kind of music or genre it represents.
> But playing music is a common theme throughout.
That's exactly what I had in mind.

> We can also package more than one theme, (KDE already does that) so there's
> no real reason not to, other than who's going to do it. Why not have
> different themes, complete with their own sounds that represent and
> celebrate different types of music. There might be an easy way to have a
> user change or select a theme that would suit them on the initial boot, or
> soon after they log in (like a desktop link). As we release new releases we
> can choose or create a new theme to celebrate while keeping all of the
> prior ones available.
Yeah, I think our biggest obstacle is the question of "who has time to make a
theme?" Thankfully we have a GSoC student, whose job it is to coordinate these
efforts!

Christopher