Re: musicians guide updates (was Re: Primary software list is "complete")

On Thursday 05 July 2012 06:17:04 Ian Malone wrote:
> On 4 July 2012 20:51, Christopher Antila <crantila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi:
> >

> > 4.) Correct me if I misunderstand, but it seems the biggest advantage of
> > the Guide on the live media is not having to download the tutorial files.
> > That makes sense, but the largest set of files--and the only set I want
> > to keep in the long term--is for Ardour. They're copyrighted with
> > CC-NC-SA, so we can't upload them to an official Fedora Project server
> > (currently they're on Soundcloud). If the point is actually to have the
> > documentation on the live media, we could craft a "no-media-files" branch
> > to reduce the space it would take.
>
> Actually I was thinking that it would be handy to have the reference
> available if you didn't have connectivity. If you're in the middle of
> a field somewhere and you want to check something on the setup for
> example. This is perhaps a more likely scenario for the Jam spin than
> the electronics or robotics spins for example.
I don't do that, so it didn't occur to me, but you have a good point. I feel
like the "no-media-file branch" would work best as a reference? Even if it's not
on the live media, it would still be handy to have in the repository.

> > PLUG:
> > If anybody is willing to volunteer an hour or two, to help point out
> > exactly what needs to be updated in the Guide and how, I'd greatly
> > appreciate it!
> >
> > List of Potential Changes:
> > - the LilyPond chapter uses Frescobaldi 1.x
> > - Qtractor has been updated significantly
> > - the "real time" portion could use a rewrite
> > - will we get supercollider into the Fedora repository?
> > - all the NEW or ASSIGNED bugs on Bugzilla[0]
>
> Unfortunately I don't really use any of those packages, but I could
> take a stab at some of the bugzillas, particularly copy editing or
> Jack setup. Is there a timeline they'd be needed for?
Now's your chance to learn those applications! In fact, if you don't use them,
it might be better, because the documentation clearly isn't intended for people
who already know what they're doing.

Either way, there is a lot of copy-editing to be done. With one paragraph a
day for a week or two, you can work through a whole chapter. In fact, that
sounds like something I should be doing!

We usually branch the Guides for the November release in the middle of
September, and send them for translation, which for the Musicians' Guide only
happens sometimes. But you can submit something at any time, and it'll get out
there eventually.

I'll start with SuperCollider.

Christopher.