Re: installing older kernels

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 06:48 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano schrieb:
> >> Not sure how you're doing right now, but seems like you could just name
> >> your kernel package "kernel-planetccrma" so it doesn't conflict with the
> >> stock kernels version-wise, and Provide: kernel-%{version} or whatever.
> >> Check into whatever the "kernel-smp" packages are doing.
> > My kernels (patched with Ingo's realtime preemption patch) are just
> > named "kernel" and "kernel-smp" like the rest of the kernel packages - I
> > don't think the name can even be changed, there are many things that
> > happen because of the name (I learned that a long time ago). [...]
>
> That's true, but the name IMHO should be changed nevertheless to avoid
> confusion and problems like the one that was described in the first
> message in this thread.

I don't quite agree. It is just another kernel.

Anyway, I can't change the name (other things _will_ break, or at least
that was what happened a long time ago when I foolishly tried for other
reasons), so that is a no no for now.

There is nothing in rpm that disallows installing several kernels at the
same time. I can just go ahead and rpm -ivh it and everybody's happy.
Yum is becoming too smart and does not have (AFAIK) any way to make it
dumber when you need it[*] - so at this point it is not allowing me to
do something perfectly legal. Bad yum :-)

-- Fernando

[*] obviously nobody has needed to do this so far. But that does not
make the need any less real or valid.