Re: installing older kernels

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano schrieb:
On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 13:37 -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 11:09 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
Hiya... some of my (Planet CCRMA) users are still having problems when
trying to install older kernels with yum. Does anyone know how to tell
yum to pretty please install a kernel even if it is version-older than
the newest already installed?
I have a set of packages (planetccrma-core-*) that "Requires:" the
proper kernel, alsa, rtirq script, etc, etc. Yum refuses to install an
older kernel.
Not sure how you're doing right now, but seems like you could just name
your kernel package "kernel-planetccrma" so it doesn't conflict with the
stock kernels version-wise, and Provide: kernel-%{version} or whatever.
Check into whatever the "kernel-smp" packages are doing.
My kernels (patched with Ingo's realtime preemption patch) are just
named "kernel" and "kernel-smp" like the rest of the kernel packages - I
don't think the name can even be changed, there are many things that
happen because of the name (I learned that a long time ago). [...]

That's true, but the name IMHO should be changed nevertheless to avoid confusion and problems like the one that was described in the first message in this thread.

CU
thl