installing older kernels

Hiya... some of my (Planet CCRMA) users are still having problems when
trying to install older kernels with yum. Does anyone know how to tell
yum to pretty please install a kernel even if it is version-older than
the newest already installed?

I have a set of packages (planetccrma-core-*) that "Requires:" the
proper kernel, alsa, rtirq script, etc, etc. Yum refuses to install an
older kernel.

I thought that doing this in /etc/yum.conf would fix it:
----
# pkgpolicy=newest
----

But it does not...