Re: jack-dssi-host wrapper?

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 22:45 -0700, Anthony Green wrote:
> Hey Callum,
>
> 	In the bugzilla for my hexter review you mentioned that we should make
> a icon/menu entry for hexter (as symlinked to jack-dssi-host) because it
> silently fails when jackd isn't running.  I agree that this is a
> problem.  The (hopefully temporary) solution I'm proposing is that we
> either mod jack-dssi-host to complain with a dialog box, or we wrap
> jack-dssi-host in a script that tests for jackd and pops up a dialog box
> complaint if required.
>
> 	I think having hexter, whysynth, etc in the menu system is worth this
> little extra bit of work.  Are you (or anybody else) opposed to this
> solution?  Are either of my proposals better than the other?

Just patching jack-dssi-host with some GTK support sounds best to me for
now.

Really what I think needs to happen is rather than having menu icons, we
need a full GUI DSSI host that gives you a list of available plugins at
startup.

Actually something in my list of "things to do someday" is write a slick
virtual keyboard application that does everything I've ever wanted.
Acting as a DSSI host would be a possible feature...