Re: Re-introduction, re-launch, comments?

dear all,

        i also feel the same , it appers that mentors are ready but
not the mentees , i feel why dont we all join together and work out
some thing in the mean time.
        I am ready for the proposal of one hour IRc .....

cheers ,
src

On 3/8/06, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <sankarshan.mukhopadhyay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> > So this list has been basically empty this year -- no posts so far in all
> > of 2006.  Which is a shame; it's an idea with potential.
> >
> > Why hasn't it succeeded?  My idea: I don't think people know what is asked
> > of them, as mentors.
>
> o We have not talked about it. We have not blogged about it. We have not
> pimped it enough.
> o Should we have a mentor banner/sticker/logo on personal
> websites/blogs/whatever foo we do ? (www.fedora-mentors.org perhaps...)
>
> > How can we do that?  Simple: every Approved Fedora Mentor (tm) pledges to
> > spend one hour a week, every week, on IRC.
>
> Err...do both my logins count ? ;) No on a serious note, we might look
> at the way GNOME BUG days are handled. Declaring an all hands mentor day
> for a particular topic and giving it serious love is something that can
> really change the way we do our business.
>
> > Just one hour -- but that hour is advertised heavily.  As in, posted to
> > the wiki, and as the title of the #fedora channel on freenode, and sent to
> > all the Fedora forums.  The Mentors would be the Go To People for newbies
> > in the Fedora project.
>
> Mentors (for their respective fields) also could have a short document
> (nothing fancy) ready that provides the new mentee pointers to where to
> go, where to begin, what to expect and what are the usual suspect URLs.
> Myself and Ramakrishna Reddy (who is too lazy to put his name up on the
> wiki) are interacting with our first batch who are teaching us some
> lessons in *being prepared*.
>
> > Over time, we'd be sending LOTS of people here.  Imagine: college students
> > worldwide, looking for help on projects.  Business people, looking to
> > prove that open source is right for them.
>
> In all the presentations that Fedora has please have 1 slide about the
> Mentor Project when you talk about HowTo Contribute to Fedora.
>
> > Is one hour a week worth it?  Can you do it?  Can you commit to it?
>
> You got it.
>
> - -Sankarshan
>

> - --
>
> You see things; and you say 'Why?';
> But I dream things that never were;
> and I say 'Why not?' - George Bernard Shaw
>
> --

S.R.Chickerur,
Asst.Professor,
Department Of Information Technology,
Sona College of Technology,
Thiagarajar Polytechnic College Road,
Salem - 636 005,
Tamilnadu, India.
Phone : 91 - 427 - 2443545, 2446898, 2447907 Extn : 466
Fax : 91 - 427 - 2449174
 Website : www.chickerursr.freeservers.com