Re: Self Introduction: Dhanesh B. Sabane [dhanesh95, UTC +5:30]

On 10/18/2016 02:32 PM, Benson Muite wrote:
Welcome to marketing!

On 10/18/2016 09:07 PM, Dhanesh B. Sabane wrote:
Hi, my name is Dhanesh B. Sabane and I live in Pune, Maharashtra,
India. My Fedora Account System (FAS) username is dhanesh95, and my
IRC nick is also dhanesh95.

I learned about the Fedora Marketing team through Justin Flory and am
interested in joining because it seemed like an interesting place. I'm
already a CommOps member and I'm also working on packaging a Python
library.

I've worked in open source and/or Free Software in the past. The
communities I've been involved with, include Mozilla and local Linux
User Group.

My skills:

Marketing skills:
* None :P My background is in Computer Engineering and hence I'm
hoping to learn some new skills here.

Other skills:
*Soccer player
*Musician

Please help me get started!

Hi Dhanesh! You are not an unfamiliar face, so I will skip over some of the usual formalities. Welcome to the Marketing mailing list, and sorry for my slow reply. :)

Since you are looking to pick up some new skills and don't have any formal background in Marketing, you might want to flip through some of the Pagure tickets we have open to get a feel for "what's happening" in Marketing. I structured the Marketing workflow similar to CommOps, so it shouldn't be too unfamiliar to you.

    https://pagure.io/fedora-marketing/issues

Right now, we're currently gearing up for the final release of Fedora 25. Part of this will include drafting of the final release announcements for the Magazine / announce mailing list. I also think it could be a helpful thing if there were some "feature profiles" of new things coming in Fedora 25 on the Fedora Magazine.

However, there is more to Marketing than only writing. One of the things I've been wanting to do for a long time, but have lacked the cycles to manage such a thing, is a marketing campaign specific to university students. A campaign like this would need to consider a number of different factors and would require some creative planning and brainstorming. If this is something interesting to you, I'd love to find some time to talk about it, factor it into the EDU Talking Points that we've started to discuss in CommOps, and determine the steps necessary to craft an effective and engaging campaign to university students globally (although it would be more effective use of our time to target individual regions first, especially where we have the contributors to do so).

This may have turned into a more detailed or starry-eyed sort of idea than a proper welcome email, but I'd love to find a way to get you involved in Marketing with something personally interesting and engaging to you.

Hope this helps provide some insight and direction. :) Let us know if you have any questions beyond this. Thanks!

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory