Self-Introduction: Michael Downey

Hi, my name is Michael Downey and I live in the USA (soon moving to Portland, Oregon, UTC-8). My Fedora Account System (FAS) username is downey, and my IRC nick is also downey.

I've worked in free & open source software in the past. Most recently, I was the director of community for OpenMRS, an open source electronic medical record system. I'm currently serving on the steering committee for LibreHealth, a new umbrella organization just getting started for open source Health IT projects.

Recently I've had some extra time on my hands and have been working to get up to speed to contribute to a few FOSS projects that I really care about. I learned about the Fedora Marketing team through the wiki, and thought I might be able to help out. I've done quite a bit of marketing work for OpenMRS in the past, and hope that I can add some experience to help Fedora, since I've been a user for many years now. Some of my experience includes blogging & content strategy, social media strategy, advertising, graphic design for online & print media, web design, community leadership/management, etc. I've already done one blog post for Magazine which is up at https://fedoramagazine.org/the-ultimate-fedora-t-shirt/.

As a long-time Fedora user, I hope to do what I can to help spread the word about one of my favorite FOSS projects. People have done a great job so far, but there are still millions of people to get involved, and lots of the planet still un-informed! :-)

One thing that crossed my mind today was getting the @Fedora account on Twitter to have verified status. I got this for the @OpenMRS account and Twitter just announced a streamlined process yesterday at https://blog.twitter.com/2016/announcing-an-application-process-for-verified-accounts. What do others think?

Looking forward to learning more and helping more!
Michael

** Adapted from the template at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Introduce_yourself_to_the_marketing_group :-)