Re: Self-Introduction: Michael Downey

On 07/20/2016 08:28 PM, Michael Downey wrote:
Hi, my name is Michael Downey and I live in the USA (soon moving to Portland, Oregon, UTC-8). My Fedora Account System (FAS) username is downey, and my IRC nick is also downey.

I've worked in free & open source software in the past. Most recently, I was the director of community for OpenMRS, an open source electronic medical record system. I'm currently serving on the steering committee for LibreHealth, a new umbrella organization just getting started for open source Health IT projects.

Recently I've had some extra time on my hands and have been working to get up to speed to contribute to a few FOSS projects that I really care about. I learned about the Fedora Marketing team through the wiki, and thought I might be able to help out. I've done quite a bit of marketing work for OpenMRS in the past, and hope that I can add some experience to help Fedora, since I've been a user for many years now. Some of my experience includes blogging & content strategy, social media strategy, advertising, graphic design for online & print media, web design, community leadership/management, etc. I've already done one blog post for Magazine which is up at https://fedoramagazine.org/the-ultimate-fedora-t-shirt/.

As a long-time Fedora user, I hope to do what I can to help spread the word about one of my favorite FOSS projects. People have done a great job so far, but there are still millions of people to get involved, and lots of the planet still un-informed! :-)

One thing that crossed my mind today was getting the @Fedora account on Twitter to have verified status. I got this for the @OpenMRS account and Twitter just announced a streamlined process yesterday at https://blog.twitter.com/2016/announcing-an-application-process-for-verified-accounts. What do others think?

Looking forward to learning more and helping more!
Michael

** Adapted from the template at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Introduce_yourself_to_the_marketing_group :-)

Hi Michael! Welcome to the Marketing mailing list! Seems like we're seeing a lot of each other around the project. :) Sorry for the late response back here.

Having someone with your knowledge and background with open source and marketing is definitely helpful and there's plenty of ways for you to get involved too. You're already a step ahead by writing the Magazine article and also commenting in the Trac ticket for the social media password discussion. This is awesome!

If you're available later on Wednesday, we have our weekly Marketing meeting on this day, at 21:00 UTC (5pm US EST). If you're free, definitely consider stopping by and saying hello, and seeing what's up. Although, it is worth noting that time is likely soon to change after Flock, so if you're interested in attending the meetings in the future, you should add your availability to this poll!

    http://whenisgood.net/fedora/marketing/2016/fallmeeting

I also agreed with Sylvia's suggestion about considering penning an article for the Magazine about OpenMRS. I think it's something that would be pretty awesome to read about and learn more about. If not its own article, perhaps you could coordinate with Charles for a pretty cool "How do you Fedora?"

And I was actually thinking about the same thing about the Twitter account becoming verified, especially since it's so "easy" now. I think this would be a question for some of our other social media admins. Maybe send that idea as its own new thread, and let's discuss it more there! I think it would be an awesome idea to help us "own" our brand a little more officially, and also make the account the authoritative source for all news Fedora.

Again, welcome to the Marketing team, Michael! :)

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory