Re: Fedora more successful, developer-wise, than Ubuntu

Jon Stanley wrote:
The Fedora Project moves in with EPEL, Extra Packages for Enterprise
Linux, perfectly suitable for a CentOS machine and with the same release
and 'support' cycle.

Not entirely sure what you mean here.  I think what was being called
for was a release whereby it's "supported" (with security updates,
etc) beyond the current 1 year, however perhaps not as much as the 7
years that RHEL is supported.

EPEL is a Fedora Project effort for Enterprise Linux providing extra packages and updates to those packages for the same amount of time the Enterprise Linux distribution it ships for is supported. I don't really know what their policy is on actively back-porting fixes for security issues, but as far as I know you can at least log bugs again an EPEL package until the end of the release's lifecycle.

However, as Matthew said in the e-mail that came in as I was writing
this, there was little interest in Fedora Legacy when it existed.
What makes us think that there's more of a demand now?  It's either
the short, bleeding edge release cycle of Fedora as we know it, or the
long release cycle of RHEL.  Both serve different purposes.

Yes, and the shorter release cycle for Fedora -at least in my opinion- helps us to do what we do best, moving forward, not "wasting" resources to what Enterprise Linux does best, being stable.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip