Re: Big decisions loom for Fedora

From: Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Article covering the Fedora Summit related developments
http://lwn.net/Articles/207938/

From the linked posting to f-a-b by Mr. Spevack:

The choice to have those meetings on the phone, as opposed to on IRC, was one that was made by the Board when we started up, the main reason being
the ones that Paul stated -- phone calls are higher bandwidth, and the
idea is to get everyone in that call on the same page as quickly as
possible.

At our company, we have found that phone conferences are very productive, but unless there is a transcriptionist, what each person takes away from that conversation isn't always the same. And the contents of the conversation is not available to those not on the conference call.

Slap down a digital voice recorder next to the phone speaker and post an OGG later.

Reading through all of those emails, the one thing that really struck me and made me think was the comment that "everything in Fedora takes a long
time."

Fedora isn't just turning a great big ship ( RH, cough ), it is turning a ship, building a ship, and at the same time trying to respond to all the shouters on the dock telling you what to do to both.

Yeah, it's gonna take time.
From an end-user perspective, I just want to see continuous improvement visible. ( I think there has been a great deal of progress FC5 => FC6 _outside_ of the versions on the packages that are on the discs ) Speed isn't that important to me because Fedora will never be "done" - there isn't really a finish line.

Charles Dostale