Re: Logo lessons

Heh, thanks for the shout out Jef, and the guidance. Much appreciated. Greg, let me send you my resume and put in an official sounding application for the official sounding title, with Jef as my referee.

Testimonials it is. Let me use my powers for good, and try to coordinate my madness a little better so that people don't have to change their pants or take a double dose of their medication after I fire up the browser (sorry about that guys...)

On the logo, let me make a humble contribution to the process dialog.

Let me preface this by saying: "In my humble opinion"

Let's let the community mother our little tyke before we present him to the wider world. Let us comb his hair down, wipe that smudge off his face with a handkerchief and straighten his shirt collar before sending him out on stage. Let us stand around him and say: "That's our little boy!". Someone else will be standing there and may be thinking: "(He sure is one butt-ugly mofo, but....) yep, that's our boy alright - you go get 'em champ!"

Whatever differences we might have within the community over the logo are our business, and we talk about that at home. Once the logo goes live to the wider world, if anyone mouths off over it, that person above will the first to snarl: "You watch your mouth about my kid!"

Because then it's no longer about visual design, it's about community. It's about sitting around the table on an afternoon with a pot of a hot drink and sharing feelings, swapping nonsense stories, and mouthing off about what you think about the world.

That logo is not simply a collection of vectors or rasterized bits, it's a visual representation of our community. Let's help to percolate that, and try to avoid people feeling that they were left out somehow. When the logo is unveiled to the world, our community is in the know, part of the surprise, rather than the surprised.

Whatever aspects could have been done better up to this point are already there, but I think a significant opportunity is still open to us at this point.

Anyway, that's my 10c contribution to the last leg of the process. Others are driving this process, I'm just giving suggestions from the cheap seats.

Now, let me see about these Testimonials....

--josh

Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
LOL!

Mr. Wulf, looks like you're being drafted. That's what you get for being so damned eloquent. :)

--g

Red Hat ] [ machine easily masters the grim and the ] [ dumb. --mcluhan