Re: Reviving the Games SIG

Hey Bruno,

On 07/19/2016 08:26 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 19:33:30 -0400,
 "Justin W. Flory" <jflory7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

== Roll call ==

To help get things rolling here once again, I'd like to propose a
"sound-off" or roll call of everyone in this mailing list who is still
interested in contributing or participating to efforts to help this
SIG begin to move again. This will help us get an idea of who is
around, what your skill sets are, and how you would be able to
contribute.

I am still interested in games on Fedora. I don't have lots of time, but
do keep the Games Spin going. I have provenpackager access which might
be occasionally useful, bit there are others who probably still read
this list, who do as well.

Firstly, thanks for reaching out and maintaining the Games Spin over the years. It'll be great having your input here on the list while we try to get things going and finding a direction for the SIG. Your experience here will definitely be useful.

For this reason, as the maintainer of the Games Spin, I added you to the FAS group and also made you an administrator.

To help get any interested members onto the same page, there are some
resources available to us now to help organize plans, thoughts, and
communication. Obviously, this mailing list is a resource, but here
are some more:

This is probably a case where if someone leads and asks for help for a
specific project, something good might happen. Brainstorming projects
without getting people to act as leaders for them as not likely to
result in much happening.

I agree with you on this. For the interim, I'm willing to help carry the torch and help lead the SIG from a general perspective (my experience with packaging is non-existent, so technical leadership is something that I would like to leave in the hands of an experienced, technical contributor). I think that it's worth pursuing this, as just in the, maybe an hour, after I sent this email, we had a fair number of people arrive in the IRC channel and also the activity on the list has increased at the interest of reviving the SIG. I'm happy to help act as a coordinator and helping support the SIG with writing, promotion, and other ways, but I would definitely enjoy seeing the leadership and participation of experienced packagers / developers in this SIG as well.

There are what look to be good free games that aren't currently packaged
for Fedora.

A few years ago we tried having gaming sessions for different games, and
turnout was pretty low. I suspect people are more likely to organize by
game, then by the distro they play on.

We were discussing in the channel earlier some games "on the radar" that could be included in Fedora. Some of those idling around had ideas for games or even game engines that may be worth pushing for inclusion in Fedora. It might be worth comparing lists of ideas you have along with some of the new ones in channel.

This wiki page was recently updated to describe some of the wishes and plans for growing the SIG again.

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Games/WishList

We could use more packagers helping with the games we already have
packaged.

For reference, are there a list of these games or a rough idea of where to look for games that are already packaged, but need support? It would be useful to have a list of these games so we can either try to find ways of improving support for the game (possibly by trying to work with upstream) or coming with other ideas or ways.

Thanks again for chiming in!

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory