Re: wesnoth 1.8 released

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 14:42:16 -0500,
  Jon Ciesla <limb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What about leaving it updates-testing indefinitely?  That way people who
> really want it can get it without , and those who don't or don't opt in
> won't?

For F11 I think that is reasonable as it is close enough to end of support
that a key fix for the older version is unlikely to be necessary. It is
still an abuse of testing though.

I think for F12 this abuse is probably too much. While Wesnoth normally
shuts down support of older versions very quickly after releases there is
more risk that we will need an update for the older version. Also the abuse
of intent of testing seems more extreme when one is talking about 8 months
instead of 2 months.

Going for we may want to think about providing both the latest version and
the version that was latest at release time. The default preferences and
save areas can be set in the executable. There would still be some issues
when switching between versions. And it is also probably a policy violation.

Being able to update save files would be a very nice pony, but I can't
see that working in general as there are data structure changes and campaign
changes with major releases and 100% accurate conversion isn't going to be
possible.