Re: wesnoth 1.8 released

Kåre Fiedler Christiansen wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 17:47, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 08:12:33 -0500,
>>  Jon Ciesla <limb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Looping in the Fedora Games list.
>>>
>>> It's built for rawhide and F-13.  I'm thinking about building it for
>>> F-12, but I'm not sure yet.  With Wesnoth, there's always the question
>>> of whether the user base values online play or their saved games more.
>>>
>>> Opinions?
>>>
>> I think for F12 you might let it sit in testing for a month or so to let
>> people switch when they want. This isn't perfect as some people may not know
>> the update is there. I think it should eventually be in F12 as people playing
>> multiplayer are going to want 1.8.
>>
>> For F11 are you thinking that people should be told to update to F12 or F13
>> to get the new version? Right now it looks like F11 support will end in
>> mid June.
>>

> I for one would be extremely miffed if any update in F12 would make my
> savegame non-functional.
>
> If 1.8 breaks savegame compatibility, I really think it should not be
> pushed before F13.
>
> I fail to see what would be achieved by letting it sit in testing -
> unless it's meant to test that it doesn't in fact break savegames?
>
> Best,
>   Kåre

This is exactly the 1.4>1.6 debate, practically verbatim, and why I'm
leaning towards Bruno's proposal ( :) ).  People who primarily play
online are adamant that we update a stable release.  People who
primarily play solo are adamant that we do not update a stable release.
I happen to primarily play solo, and I'm running a local build of 1.8,
so that's no help. :)

Unless I hear a great deal of wailing and gnashing of teeth in the next
few days, I'll probably proceed with Project Bruno.

I'd also like to hear from wtogami, the co-maintainer, but I've not
heard from him since he changed jobs, though I have his new email.

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love