Re: garbage-collector.rpm ? (Was: Re: Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2007-03-03)

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 17:43 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Matthew Miller schrieb:
> > What about implementing it as a yum plugin instead? The plugin could key off
> > of the old and versions of fedora-release and act accordingly.
>
> Hmm. Yes, maybe that could work, too.

Ummm, how about we just do something like debian does. Say we have a
package, "foo-1.0-1.fc6" that has been dropped. Release a new version of
the package, "foo-1.0-2.fc6" that is a dummy package that contains
nothing, and has a %description along the lines of "Package foo is
obsolete. This is a dummy package that ensures its removal. This package
can be removed safely."

If the package is ever revived, you just have to release "foo-1.0-3.fc6"
or "foo-6.3-7.fc11" or whatever. It will then be neatly revived on any
system that the user hasn't explicitly removed the dummy package.
External repos can easily pick up the package as well. Just bump the
version.

As pointed out, trying to glob this all in a single package will only
result in pain and sorrow.