Re: Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2007-03-03

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:18:32 +0100
bugs.michael@xxxxxxx (Michael Schwendt) wrote:
]
The missing obsoletes is a fundamental problem, not specific to
Extras. There is no automatic garbage collection during upgrades.

Do we know of any distribution that handles it better? What does say Debian due when packages are orphaned?

So, I could:
- Do nothing. This means people who have bmp-xosd installed will see a
broken dep and have to manually 'rpm -e bmp-xosd' to get back on track. Not nice to make end users have to do that. ;(
- Add a 'obsoletes' to the main xosd package. This would help end
users, but this package doesn't really provide bmp-xosd anymore, so
should it have to obsolete it? I guess this is cleaner..
Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to fix this?

Please dont leave broken deps. Obsolete it if there isnt a better way.

Rahul