Re: garbage-collector.rpm ? (Was: Re: Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2007-03-03)

On Sunday 11 March 2007 15:39:53 Callum Lerwick wrote:
> Ummm, how about we just do something like debian does. Say we have a
> package, "foo-1.0-1.fc6" that has been dropped. Release a new version of
> the package, "foo-1.0-2.fc6" that is a dummy package that contains
> nothing, and has a %description along the lines of "Package foo is
> obsolete. This is a dummy package that ensures its removal. This package
> can be removed safely."

Why do we want to go out of our way to remove potentially still usable
software from people's machines?  Just because Fedora doesn't maintain it
anymore doesn't mean it automatically becomes unusable software that we
should forcibly remove from people's machines.

Seriously folks, we have tools like yum list extras that can show us things
that won't get updated by our configured repositories, and we should let the
local user decide what to do about packages that have been orphaned.  We can
keep up websites for the package in question with simple info that it is
orphaned, click here to revive it type thing, but automatically removing it
seems like a very rude thing to me.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora