Re: New Comps Groups

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Christopher Stone (chris.stone@xxxxxxxxx) said:
Why, out of curiosity? In what cases are these something that a user
wants to explicitly wade through 100 listings for?
I do not understand this question?  Is it somehow better to wade
through 1000s of packages to find something instead?  Please rephrase
your question to be more specific.

We already have a 'package search' interface for finding packages - is
listing 100 (or however many) python-* packages better than this? In
what way? Are they not getting pulled in for dependencies when necessary?

Basically, what's the use case for when a user would want to scroll through
all of python-* or perl-* looking for a package?

Discovery... as a user two of the things I miss most about the available package managers that I loved in aptitude are:
1) Categorized packages
2) 'New' packages

When I'm writing an application in language L and need some functionality X, browsing through the devel packages for package P that provides X in L is pretty handy.

As a user (developer's are users too) I like it.