Re: Kernel modules in Fedora Extras

On Tue, 16 May 2006, Ville Skyttä wrote:
Yes, if it is not known that something in the packaged modules
*themselves* prevents them from working or makes them useless on some
architectures (ExcludeArch), or if it is not known that the modules work
or are useful only on a known set of architectures (ExclusiveArch).

I agree on this. ExclusiveArch is more of a hindrance to me; I always end up having to add sparc/sparc64 to the list when updating packages to Aurora.

Consider someone running a custom kernel built for an architecture that
is not shipped in FE (for example sparc or ia64 or pentium4 or whatever,
these are just examples so ignore specifics and (non-)availability of
the rest of the distro for the moment) and modules which per se are very
much usable on that architecture.

Actually, sparc isn't even a totally hypothetical example. Our own Dennis Gilmore maintains a sparc port of Extras for Aurora Linux, and is rather successful, from what I've seen.

     Jima