Re: a better webinterface to our packages (Was: Re: New Fedora Extras Steering Committee chair)

À 15/01/06 10:56 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit:
I looked into repoview and while it is ok I would love to have something better
in place by the time fc5 gets around the corner. I really thing that this is
something people will like.
Last time I spoke to the repoview developer, he was open to all sorts of ideas, so you may find it easier to work with him, instead of re-implementing his ideas all over again. :)

I'm sure you, andreas and everyone else interested will find a nice
solution.

Well, it kinda amuses me, since web interface to packages is a problem with a well-known set of constraints – both real and perceived. The greatest limitation is the attempt to make it not require anything on the server-side, in order for the mirrors to not have to provide special scripting-enabled directories and still have all the same data as in the main repository. While this is a worthwhile goal, this prevents me from implementing any sort of searching and other features. If pages were rendered dynamically, then we could just use yum's own sqlite databases to query and render pages on the fly, with lots of niceties, but I am reluctant to do it, since I like the simplicity of pre-rendered pages (a lot fewer bugs, a lot more secure).

I understand that repoview also adds a significant overhead to the generation of large repositories (though I must note that on my P-Mobile 1.4GHz the entire process of parsing and then generating all pages for 3000 packages takes 80 seconds, which is pretty good in my book).

What I think I can do immediately is implement a feature where the program finds ALL subdirectories with repodata in them and then generates one set of pages for all the architectures it finds. This way instead of having to run it 4 times for SRPMS, i386, ppc, and x86_64, you can run them in the /extras/4 directory and have one tree listing all architectures available. Would that be useful?

Regards,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
McGill University WSG