Re: Proposed wiki rewrite

On 03/17/2016 02:23 AM, Viorel Tabara wrote:
On Tue Mar 15 2016 09:36:43 GMT-0600 (MDT) Justin W. Flory <jflory7@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Viorel. Curious, did you also have any
ideas on ways that non-academic professionals in academic settings can
contribute? I'm assuming this might be like a system administrator at a
school, or a similar type of position.

I'll have to start with a disclaimer: These are my personal thoughts and do not
represent the views of my employer.

I do believe that we need to educate the young generation about the values of
open source and as a professional (I'm not sure if that's a term used across
all educational institutions or only at AU) I can do that by connecting the
academic and professional open source advocates with the community [1] and by
sharing resources as I come across them [2]. Where Fedora could come in is by
being *the* platform to make this happen: technically, socially and culturally
-- more than just a Fedora Ansible-ized OpenStack lab. The logistics of how to
get there is what most of us technical people may be missing.

[1]:https://landing.athabascau.ca/blog/view/957162/surviving-on-open-source-an-au-course#comment_24486936
[2]:https://landing.athabascau.ca/pages/view/999709/open-source-course

The links you shared to Athabasca University's pages were awesome to read about. :) These are exactly the kinds of things I think we as a community should be supporting and helping grow.

I completely agree with the points you mentioned. However, when it comes to finding ways to deploy and implement this in schools, I'm definitely not an expert nor will I act like I am. Perhaps Remy could chime in on this specifically because it definitely is within his realm of expertise from his time at RIT.

I think this thread in itself could make a good topic for the next CommOps meeting!

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory