Re: [Campus Ambassadors] Proposed wiki rewrite

On 03/08/2016 01:32 PM, Neville A. Cross wrote:
I think that one thing that may be useful to set as part of the goals
to try to inspire teachers and staff on campus to become part of
ambassadors and campus ambassadors.

The rationale to include this is that a student may spend from 3 to 5
years in the university depending on the studying program, but a
teacher or staff may stay at the university longer.

If the student didn't inspire other students about fedora, fedora's
presence will end when the student graduates. Besides a teacher or
staff may have greater audience than a student.

It may happen that the teacher or staff may be tempted to use fedora
resources to make their classes or labs more appealing, this may be a
gray area. Like: "I will teach an extra class with free pizza which
will be using fedora". I will trust that most of us are for the
freedom.

In other hand it may be difficult for some countries this level of
sponsoring. Most of the reimbursement process is made by paypal. In
some countries you can not get funds by paypal. Some of the countries
that you can get the funds you can only used as a electronic wallet and
you can not cash that money. For some people electronic money is
useful, but not for all. So we have to be careful to not create
unrealistic expectations regarding sponsoring.

Just my two cents on this topic.

Hey Neville,

Thanks for chiming in on this topic.

I definitely agree that getting teachers and academic faculty involved as Campus Ambassadors is a crucial and important dynamic. Like you noted, there is a much larger window for how long the faculty member can impact youth and introduce a new generation to Linux and Fedora.

I'm trying to think of a way to frame this within the current draft on the wiki, but I'm thinking maybe it becomes a two-pronged rewrite. There could be a section for students and another section for teachers / faculty to get involved as Campus Ambassadors.

My concerns are whether it would be confusing to keep the students in the same mailing list / agenda planning as faculty members. Both students and faculty may need resources unique from one another in terms of guidance or strategical planning for events.

What do you all think about adding the faculty dynamic to the Campus Ambassadors rewrite?

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory