Re: [K12OSN] Fedora Education Initiative Launch

Tom Hoffman wrote:

snip...

There are two things I'd like to see:

Saying "the solution to this problem is to hold a conference" seems
almost as lame as saying "what we need to do now is form a committee."
But the open source in education community in the US, badly, badly
needs a national conference.  Nobody really knows what's going on on
the national scale.  What in God's name is going on in Indiana?  Has
anyone actually talked to Mike Huffman?  There's a tremendous mix of
grass-roots, corporate and larger state and district backed projects
going on, but very little coordination or information moving around.
snip...

Yes, yes, yes!!!

Redhat was very helpful 5 years ago when K12LTSP was first being developed. They provided funds that helped us travel to several conferences with our students to show people what was happening when K12LTSP was brand new. Back then there were very few schools using Linux so having a presence at the big ed-tech conferences was a voice in the wilderness experience.

Tom is right on about needing a conference because the need is different now than it was in the early days. I don't think Eric or I feel the need as much to travel and show people what you can do because everywhere we go, there are people already using Linux in schools. The need now is to build conscience and awareness and develop a body of best practices and direction for open source software (and curriculum) in schools.

My suggestion? RH (and other education solution providers like Intel...) should create a series of Open Education Awards for the people working to provide open/public licensed software and curriculum for education. These people are often working for public schools and universities. It's good PR to get an award and it helps build support back home when your work is nationally recognized. Awards make for good press releases, are easy to give out and cost next to nothing.

Give out these awards at a national open source in education convention that piggy backs on one of the other big ed-tech conventions like NCCE [ http://center.uoregon.edu/ISTE/NECC2006/ ]. The NECC folks love open source and would gladly work with us to host the extra events. The advantage of using a vehicle like NECC is that many of the players go there already. You don't have to invent a layer of organization but instead, get to take advantage of what they have already done. You also get to showcase what's happening with open source in education in front of industry and educational leaders.

Good things will happen when you get the right people together. RH/Fedora has the name recognition, good reputation and goodwill of their organization all coming together. They could make this happen. They could also bring along the other reluctant industry players who would not strike out on their own.

Last year there were over 500,000 copies of K12LTSP downloaded from Eric's ftp box. Don't underestimate the ability of people with good ideas to change the world. It's happening already. Redhat/Fedora can help and I'd be glad to see them continue to support the open source in K12 movement.

;-) Paul

Paul Nelson.............................. pnelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Riverdale High.......... 9727 SW Terwilliger Blvd. Portland, OR 97219
(503)892-0722......fax(503)892-0723................ http://pnelson.us

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora Legacy]     [Fedora Desktop]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Tools]