Re: docs.fedoraproject.org front page suggestions

On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 6:28 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ohhhh, let me expand my thought then, because it wasn't meant to be a
> digression. Having top-level big blocks for versioned documentation makes
> sense if, when you go there, there's a whole bookshelf.
>
> But we really only have ONE versioned document, the release notes. It seems
> better to make the top level thing just be "Release Notes", and to make the
> version more prominent once you go there.

Okay, that makes sense. I'd like to have more versioned docs, but
there are a lot of things that I'd like. :-)

> Ohhhhh, no, those sound like terrible options. But I think there's a better
> way than either one? https://docs.antora.org/antora/2.3/navigation/include-lists/

No, that's the "pull nav.adoc from an external repo" I was talking
about. It will break local preview builds. Well, _break_ isn't the
right word, because the builds will happen. But the include won't
happen without building the entire site.

> We might need to rethink Quick Docs if we keep throwing everything in there.

No argument here. More than anything other improvement we're
discussing, some intentional curation of the docs would improve the
situation. The difficulty is that good organization is a specialized
skill that we don't, AFAIK, have. It also tends to get out of date
pretty quickly. Alas.

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His