Re: docs.fedoraproject.org front page suggestions

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 9:50 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Search is the leading problem, but I think we can probably clean up the
> navigation quite a bit. It just kind of ... grew this way.

It's definitely time to tend the garden a bit.

> 1. Remove F34 and Rawhide bubbles. Let's just feature the latest. If we want
>    older release docs to be more prominent, we can style the version-changer
>    more prominently.

I disagree. A lot of users don't upgrade right away, so making the
docs harder to find is a disservice. If you want to get rid of
something, Rawhide seems like the better candidate as many fewer
people actually use it.

> 4. I'm unsure about front page bubbles, but -- I think we should put all of
>    the Edition / spin documentation into one three-level hierarchy instead
>    of lots of two-level ones.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can you elaborate?

> 5. I still kind of like "Fedora Project" as a little mini-site, but maybe
>     _all_ of the rest of Fedora Council, Engineering Teams, Mindshare Teams,
>    D&I, PgMT should be put into one?

I think I see what you're saying, and that makes sense. Basically a
unified listing of teams? If that's what you mean, then I'm on board.
If you don't already know about Fedora's org structure, then the docs
make it harder to find what you're looking for.

> 6. Not sure where stuff like Gaming should go.

Are we talking about using Games or participating in the Games SIG?

> 7. Packaging guidelines and to-be-added Legal... same.

Probably in a grouping under an Engineering Teams heading for
packaging guidelines. Legal...is more expansive. Maybe with broader
things like Council and DEI?

> 8. Outreachy docs should be removed, since they're not on the docs site.

Why does it matter if it's on the docs site? It's still documentation.
The docs page should be about the content, not the tooling. Now if you
want to make the case that we should remove it because it points to a
2017 wiki page, that's another matter entirely.

> 9. GCP should be removed because we're not doing that anymore.

Go for it!

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His