Re: Using branch names instead of branched yaml files for building docs.fp.o?

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 7:24 AM Justin W. Flory (he/him)
<jflory7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Replying out of order, because I can. :-)

> I understand the motivation for this and it is a good idea, but I think
> git branches are the wrong approach. The original idea that we had at
> the 2018 Docs FAD was staging docs would be built instantly, maybe with
> webhooks. This would allow someone to quickly see their changes in the
> published Fedora Docs system. The "production" docs would continue to
> built once an hour, like they are now. This approach makes the staging /
> production separation more seamless and takes the responsibility off of
> the person making a PR to decide what branch to make their PR to (if
> they even realize there are other branches in the first place).

That's solving a different problem, though. Or at least there's area
where they don't overlap. If I push at 1 minute before the hour and
the production build starts at the top of the hour, there's
essentially no staging. This is less about verifying the small changes
and more about getting review of major changes or changes that span
multiple repos.

> using git branches for this is confusing. For repos I maintain, if
> `prod` was the default branch, I would likely choose not to make a
> `staging` branch because I feel it is unnecessary.

And that's fine. The idea isn't to mandate a staging branch, but to
make having one trivial when it's desired. The intent, if everything
worked the way I would like (which I'm not entirely sure it does),
would be to have a staging branch be a zero-effort setup for those who
want it and entirely invisible to those who don't.

I recognize that this is a very rare use case, so I don't want to
spend much time debating it. You've convinced me that it's not worth
the trouble, so unless someone else thinks this is a brilliant idea
that we absolutely must do, I consider the matter settled. :-)

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His