Using branch names instead of branched yaml files for building docs.fp.o?

Hi docs team,

mattdm recently suggested we should rename the default branch of
council-docs from "master" to something else[1]. I suggested "prod"
because I have ulterior motives.

Right now, we have separate branches for building the production and
staging docs.fp.o. This makes staging useful for testing changes to
the build system itself, but not for content. Granted, people can (and
should) test content changes locally before pushing, but for changes
that span across repos or for sharing rendered changes with someone
else for review, that becomes more challenging.

Would it be possible to configure things such that docs.stg.fp.o build
from the repos' 'stg' branches and the main docs sites build from the
'prod' branches? This way, every docs repo that gets included by
Antora can have stage and production content for "free". Then, for
example, if I made a big structural change to the Council docs, I
could do that on the stage branch so that it would be built and
visible to anyone I wanted to share it with, but the production
content would be untouched until we were ready to merge.

Would it be as simple as changing line 6 on site.yml to be 'prod' on
the prod branch and 'stg' on the stage branch? (Or better, could we
pull it from some environment variable/file/whatever?)

Assuming this is both technically possible and also desirable, would
it be possible to have the production docs site support both "master"
and "prod" as branch names to provide a migration window. Or would we
have to migrate to this model by updating the site.yml on a per-repo
basis?

[1] https://pagure.io/Fedora-Council/council-docs/issue/86
[2] https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/docs-fp-o/blob/prod/f/site.yml#_6

--