Re: Proposal: Adopt an AsciiBinder Based ToolChain

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016, at 08:50 PM, Jean-Baptiste Holcroft wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> I do not understand, isn't Gnome community is going to move from Mallard
> to Pintail ?

Pintail is a site builder.  Mallard is a markup language.

I know that pintail is being considered by Gnome for use as a site
builder.  I haven't seen the announcement about the adoption of it.  I
don't believe it is feature complete yet.  I also don't track Gnome so
if it was formally adopted as the path forward, I may have just not seen
the announcement.

> The first tool has internationalization included http://help.gnome.org
> and the second will have it (soon?).
>
> Is AsciiBinder able to handle it or will handle it ? You described in
> your documentation how to produce po files, but what about publishing
> process ?

That is covered in the Proof of Concept section.  In short, yes, you can
publish multiple languages today.

> po4all is a cool tool (AFAIK created by Debian french team), but will
> our user have a global localized experience ?
> Easy jump from one language to another, automatic language selection
> from one do to another, jumping from page to page without loosing
> current language setting, multi-language based search, etc ?

My expectation is that this will be able to be accomplished.  I haven't
included this in the example because I do not have mad CSS or JavaScript
skills, but I do not believe this will be a challenge.

One thing that I want to hear from the Translation Team is how they want
to handle untranslated and partially translated texts.

> Is there a need to move quickly to that tool instead of waiting (or
> helping) Pintail to reach this goal ?

In my opinion, yes.  We need to increase contribution and reboot the
docs.  DocBook has been identified as an impediment to contribution.
This gets us off of DocBook and onto a publishing platform that can
handle it.

I have not seen a project plan or roadmap for pintail.  Pintail does not
seem to be attracting a community which means we are highly reliant on
Shaun to complete the work.  I am sure he is working very hard, however
he can't be expected to abandon all of his other responsibilities and
solve our use case problems first.

> If it can't make internationalized content in the coming month, can't we
> find a temporary work-around ?

It can produce internationalized content.  See the example please.

> I tried searching "Target" in https://docs.openshift.com/ it makes a
> google research and failed. It also suggest automatic translation from
> google... Not very motivating for translators ;)

OpenShift chooses not to translate their documentation.  I encourage you
to have a conversation with their community about the value of
translations.

It is not an option to not provide translations for Fedora.  I have not
omitted them.

> I do not feel comfortable about this publishing tool, while at the same
> time, we had a good Proof of concept of Pintail at GUADEC.
> https://media.ccc.de/v/108-unconference-6
> It may be just marketing, please tell me :)

Did you look at my Proof of Concept?  What is making you feel
uncomfortable other than it not being pintail?

> Will you convert from docbook to asciidoc every documentation from
> Fedora 7 ? I remember someone saying this conversion isn't easy.

Please read my comments in the proposal about this.  I outline the
challenges, what has been discovered as ideas so far and you can see
some "quick-and-dirty" conversions in the proof of concept.

Also, I have recently attended a conference that has generated some
additional ideas for helping with this conversion.

> At last, did you plan a mechanism to make comments for translator ?
> Dummy example with C file :
> https://github.com/hughsie/appstream-glib/blob/master/client/as-builder.c#L89

Can you please provide an example of this in the current Fedora
Documentation?

> Anyway, to me, the most important is making
> update/publish/translate/publish processes easier and smoother.
> The work you're doing is really needed and good. It can be this tool or
> another, but I just do not understand the move. Sorry for so big email!

I understand where your concerns lie.  I strongly encourage you to read
through the whole proposal and I believe you will find most of your
concerns have been addressed and in many cases answered.  If you have
additional concerns or if you would like to schedule some time to talk
about this (in public so others can benefit), let me know.

I cannot make the standing docs meeting next week because of travel,
hence my desire to have this conversation via email.

Thank you.

regards,

bex