Re: Orphaning FreeIPA guide

On 07/01/2016 12:15 PM, Petr Bokoc wrote:
On 07/01/2016 09:06 AM, Martin Kosek wrote:
On 10/15/2014 05:30 PM, Martin Kosek wrote:
On 10/15/2014 04:03 PM, Jérôme Fenal wrote:
Hello all,

FreeIPA project is already for some time without sufficient
resources to revive
and maintain our former long upstream user guide. We did not find
enough
manpower either in FreeIPA developer nor our users community, so we
decided to
stop maintaining it.

Detailed justification including links to mail threads in:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Upstream_User_Guide

I would like to avoid leaving any loose ends on Fedora
Documentation project
side, do you have any recommendation for us? I already closed
respective
Bugzillas and upstream Trac tickets with explanation. Should we
also orphan the
guide in

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_meetings#Guides

or on any other locations? For starters, I think we should close the
"freeipa-guide" component of "Fedora Documentation" as nobody from
our team
would be responding there.
Hi Martin,

What will happen to its downstream Linux Domain Identity Management
Guide for RHEL?
Hello Jérôme,

RHEL guides as listed in
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Documentation#User_Guides
are still actively maintained by Red Hat Technical Writer(s) and
should be up
to date. I added direct links to report any bugs that FreeIPA users
may find.

Should we rely solely on the product help for that documentation?
No. We want to focus on documentation in FreeIPA.org project
community wiki,
i.e. design documents, (user) HOWTO articles or any other general
articles that
our users or developers contribute to.

Wiki is generally much more easy to contribute due to easy syntax and
narrow
focus of the pages. Maintaining whole user guide book in docbook is
on a whole
different level of complexity and resource requirement on it's
contributors -
thus the move from it upstream.
Hello everyone,

Please let me revive that old thread of mine and revisit this subject
as it
these guides are now hurting the project too much to ignore it. We
(the FreeIPA
project) had numerous user confusions, mistakes and problems caused by
these
old, orphaned guides.

We already stopped linking to the guides from the FreeIPA project
pages and
published our User Guide statement in:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Upstream_User_Guide
Currently, the only FreeIPA guides with sufficient staffing and
contributions
to maintain that big documentation project is with Red Hat and it's
Identity
Management guides:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Documentation#User_Guides

However, the problem is that these guides still pop up in search
engine results
and FreeIPA user community members periodically come to us and are
complaining
that some procedure from
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/15/html/FreeIPA_Guide/index.html

or
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/17/html/FreeIPA_Guide/index.html

or
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html/FreeIPA_Guide/index.html

does not work or that it is not understandable even though the fixed
documentation is live on Red Hat sites.

Can we please do something about it? I would suggest either:

1) Add big flash-y admonition to the top of every page in the user guides
above, pointing to
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Documentation#User_Guides
or
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Upstream_User_Guide
which collects all information about these user guides.

This is a pretty good idea for our new future publishing system. Maybe
we could make it automatically insert some kind of a banner as a guide
reaches its EOL, explaining to anyone who finds it that it's out of
date. We could have it trigger when a guide for final release X is
published and slap that banner on every guide for release X-2.
Preferably a floating one, not just something on top of the page, so
people are sure to see it even if they open the page at an anchor
instead of the top.

Or we could just unpublish old guides as a rule. Currently it really is
pretty confusing.

2) Remove these guides from Fedora docs side at all and ideally add a
redirect to
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Documentation#User_Guides
or
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Upstream_User_Guide

I am looking for any guidance. Thank you!

I agree we should definitely remove these guides - if the most recent
one is 3 years out of date and people still keep finding it and then
getting confused, that's a no-brainer. I'm not sure about the redirects,
though, I don't know if we can easily do that.

Here is a list of the current redirects:
https://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ansible.git/tree/roles/fedora-docs/proxy/files/redirects.conf

Fedora infrastructure[1] manages that but it seems impossible to raise a ticket with their system.[2]

Try: rc.frenode.net in #fedora-admin

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure
[2] https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/